Men-Tsee-Khang (Sowa-Rigpa) is a charitable, cultural and educational institution of H.H. the Dalai Lama, registered under the Societies Registration Act of 1860 (No. 1290/79). Historically, Men-Tsee-Khang was established in 1916 by the 13th Dalai Lama in Lhasa, Tibet. In 1959, the People’s Republic of China invaded Tibet and His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama fled to India followed by 80,000 Tibetans.
His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama re-established Men-Tsee-Khang, Tibetan Medical and Astro. Institute in Dharamshala on 23 March, 1961. The Institute initially started with a doctor and an astrologer with ten students in two separate campuses in Dharamshala: Chopra House and Glenmore Cottage. Dr. Yeshi Dhonden and Ven. Dukhorwa Lodoe Gyatso were the forerunners of Medicine and Astrology Schools. In 1967, the two schools were merged together as Men-Tsee-Khang, Tibetan Medical & Astro. Institute in Mcleod Ganj and shifted to the present location in 1982 where the Headquarter of the institutes operates.At present Men-Tsee-Khang is a full-fledged Institute with a work force of 673 members — 145 doctors, 21 Astro-Science Practitioners, 301 Staff, 93 Contract Staff, 68 Contract Wager, and 45 Wager.